Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Dubstep, what's the big deal?

What do druggies, socially awkward teens, and white kids with bad taste in music all have in common? A love for Dubstep. If you're one of those middle aged parents who stop trying to keep up with the times, Dubstep is basically techno music but with "distinct differences"

Normally it isn't in my nature to insult anyone's taste but I feel like it will be doing justice to do so. Let me tell you why-
    Lately a good friend of mine who is an avid Dubstep fan has made some bold statements lately and when I asked others at my school, I realized that a good percentage of teens actually feel the same way. He said that Electronic Dance Music is better than rap, WRONG! Then another friend told me that Dubstep is on the rise and rap will perish, ALSO WRONG. Although hip hop is in a critical condition right now it's not going anywhere. And last time I checked, I haven't seen any EDM album create any buzz nor captivate the charts. Has Skrillex gone double platinum? I don't think so.

People who like Dubstep don't have much knowledge of music nor do they have a lot in their life that has importance, so they cling on to this obscure clankity clank music. They find acceptance through liking this genre and become engulfed in this sort of cult, its pretty sad. I always say Dubstep has no lyrics. Where's the meaning? the message? the story? whats the point? And you know what they say?
    In a snooty defensive tone "Well, what's the message behind getting b*tches and money ?" then they say "You don't need lyrics, and there are many different sub genres of EDM. Its about the experience of hearing sounds that you've never heard before and being blown away" ... You know what that sounds like? JAZZ. But jazz is soft and boring to their ears. They need noise, mosquito synthesizers and bass drops.

I asked my same friend if he knew who Stevie Wonder is and this was his response "Isn't he blind, deaf, and dumb? HAR HAR HAR" In a nutshell, music is getting worse by the generation and our tastes have gone sour. Dubstep is diarrhea for the ears and makes your brain turn to elctro-poo, one bass drop at a time.

2 comments:

  1. Dubstep is just different. That's what makes it interesting. Like with a lot of things, maybe its fanbase gives it a bad rep. I say some of it is pretty good, energetic, great for working out or just as background music. It's more than just noises being smashed together.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah you're right. I'm really just lashing out on the fanbase, that's the thing that annoys me.

    ReplyDelete