Wednesday, December 23, 2015

The All-Star Game

Let me take you back to 2013, a simpler time. A time when P!nk had a #1 song with “Just Give Me a Reason” and everyone fell back in love with Leonardo DiCaprio for his role in The Great Gatsby. I was a junior in high school whose biggest concern was the ACT. That May I had bigger, more immediate issues to worry about. At the time something that my friends and I were working on all year was on the verge of being a colossal failure...


It’s not every day that one gets to be a super hero; my moment came during my junior year of high school. For six months, three friends and I went to Hell and back to organize a charity basketball game. It was one of our greatest challenges and our most triumphant moment.


Once the four of us hatched the idea for the game, we immediately began to toil tirelessly on it, enlisting players, coaches, and supporters. The proceeds were originally going to our graduating class, but we ultimately decided to team up with two senior girls running a homeless aid charity called “The Light Movement.” Through this partnership, we were introduced to our biggest ally, the marvelous Ms. Parks, who became our teacher-sponsor and main problem-solver. When there weren’t enough volunteers, she got her science classes involved; when we faced catty cheerleaders, she was our peacekeeper. The game was scheduled for March 14th, but Ms. Parks had to attend a benefit dinner the same night. Knowing it wouldn’t be right to continue without our biggest supporter, we agreed to push the date back to April 4th. Little did we know, we were about to face the ultimate test of strength and perseverance.

We had two main nemeses, time and the football coach. A week before the big day, one of our coaches and three starters dropped out due to a travel tournament. Subsequently, more players were forced to resign because of football practice. We tried to persuade the coach to dismiss our people from practice, but he wouldn’t budge. With so many players missing, pushing the game back again was the only option. But finding a new date so late in the year wasn’t guaranteed. This was our darkest hour, with our backs against the wall and defeat creeping up, the odious visage of failure cackled in our faces. Luckily, the dice of destiny rolled in our favor and a new date was awarded, May 10th.

Come May 10th the dream was finally a reality. My friend and I subbed in as last-minute coaches. He coached the underclassmen and I coached the upperclassmen. Once the game tipped off, my only worry was winning the game, which I did: 90-84.

This experience has been a huge life lesson. For once in my life, I felt like a superhero. We raised $200 for the Light Movement and assembled 40+ bags of toiletries and personal hygiene items for the homeless. It was a rough six months, but I’m proud to say that we were able to emerge from the rubble and stand victorious.


For footage of the game, follow this link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ6IoHpt9fg&list=PLSDSBEVX8rII_M7XkvFOax1lWYE9y-d9C

No comments:

Post a Comment