Wednesday, February 13, 2013

Why I Love You.... Speakerboxxx/The Love Below

             Do you remember OutKast? The Atlanta rap duo that brought us classics such as So Fresh, So Clean, The Whole World, Ms. Jackson, B.O.B. and more. Well I sure do, before Kendrick Lamar and Kanye West became the two rappers that I hold so near and dear to, I had OutKast and the Black Eyed Peas. Yes, I was a huge BEP fan back in the day. We'll discuss that later...
   
            Anyway, this fall will mark the 10th anniversary of Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. Meaning that Roses, Hey Ya, and The Way You Move are nearly 10 years old. I repeat, Hey Ya came out nearly 10 years ago! How old do you feel? I remember those days like it was yesterday, this was the first album I ever bought. I remember coming home from Wal Mart and immediately ripping off the plastic. I had this album with me everywhere I went. I would play it before bed, in the morning, I even brought with me to the bus on my way to school. I never played it in school, but I treasured the album so much that I had to have it with me at all times. The main reason I'm writing this post now and not in the fall is because I honestly thought that this album came out on Valentine's Day. Andre 3000s side of the album definitely had a romantic theme and that really stands out to me. Not too many rappers have the cohones to put out an album that with lovey dovey songs not just pertaining to sex. Songs like Behold a Lady and Prototype are one of a kind and if I'm not mistaken, The Love Below could very well be the first and only Valentine's Day rap album in history. I could be wrong though..
          
            Big Boi and Andre brought me many memories with this one. Singing Roses in the shower, listening to the Love Below Intro and instantly thinking about my elementary school crush. If you ever get the chance, check out the Charlie Brown version of Hey Ya, it's quite entertaining. After this album, OutKast made Idlewild and have since slipped into a long and aggravating hiatus. Andre went and made that show Class of 3000 and he eventually slipped from the public eye but he would occasionally pop out of the rabbit hole and have unforgettable guest verses such as 2007's Int.'l Players Anthem and 2012's Party. Big Boi went on to try a solo career and the worst part is he's STILL trying.

Can we get one more OutKast album please or at least a reunion? I don't care how long it takes, but give us at least one single before I graduate.

What was your favorite song on this album? What are your favorite OutKast albums and songs and wouldn't you like to see an OutKast reunion? Let me know.

Speakerboxxx/The Love Below, you've done so much as far as shaping my rap taste and continue to be a classic to this day. I will always play you during Valentine's Day and whenever I crave the nostalgia, and that is why I Love You.... Speakerboxxx/The Love Below. OutKast will get their own Why I Love You in the future.


WHAT'S COOLER THAN BEING COOL?

No comments:

Post a Comment