Monday, December 23, 2013

2K14 Rant

      I got NBA 2K14 for the PS3 which might be the reason this post is taking this angle. But as a person who has grown up with this franchise, I can't help but address my biggest gripes with the recent installments. Here are my Top 3 Complaints about 2K.

      1. Juicing Up Players- The 2K developers love to make great players superhuman. There are three kinds of superheroes in 2K:
High Flyers (Rudy Gay and LeBron in 2K11&12)
Sharp Shooters (Carmelo Anthony 2K12&13 and Stephen Curry 2K13)
Deities (Kobe in ANY 2K game especially 2K11, LeBron and KD since 2K12, and Paul George 2K14)
           I understand that some players stand out from the rest but sometimes a player's abilities are over exaggerated to the max. High Flyers can dunk on anything, Sharp Shooters can pull up from half court and make it 60% of the time and Deities are all of those in one. They are aggravating to defend and always score at least 30 points at the hands of the most noobiest player.

      2. Gameplay Mechanics- If it ain't broke, don't fix it. That's a motto that is unfamiliar with the developers. They love to introduce something and take it away next year. Why won't the alley-oop button stay the same for once? Why did they take away the step back button from 2K11? If they aren't taking something away, they're overcomplicating something else: posting up feels like I'm playing Finger Twister and crossovers are unnecessary thumb workouts.

     3. Slippery Defense- This wasn't an issue in the old days when all the players moved in the same speed as if they were on a chain gang. Now it's become way too easy to lose a defender; you don't even have to use turbo. All you have to do is say "excuse me" and the defender politely gets out of your way. It's like the game creates space so you can get J'd on easily. And running after a player can feel like a game of Duck-Duck-Goose.

There are many other issues I have. I'm 4 games in 2K14 and I'm tearing my hair out. That's not to say that it's not a great game; but the developers need to tighten up. If you have any major gripes with 2K, post them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment