Thursday, July 10, 2014

My Summer Vacation So Far

        Having friends leave for college is like being in a band and seeing everyone go off to solo careers. One or two people might stay but it’s not enough to create a hit record.

        A lot of my friends left because they were crazy enough to start school in the summer. I don’t understand why anybody would make that decision. Sure it gets you a head start on your studies but you would think that after a grueling year of high school you would want more than a few weeks to relax and enjoy yourself before heading back to school. From what I hear these professors are ruthless. They’ll assign a seven page paper before the syllabus is passed out.

       To be fair there isn’t that much to do at home during the summer of your freshman year going into college. Unless you’re an adventurer or a humanitarian, the most you could possibly do is work and spend the remaining time with your family and friends and all of that gets old pretty fast. Maybe it’s just me but it’s not too hard to say goodbye to the people you see on a daily basis. It’s not like you’re never going to see them again; there’s always Thanksgiving. But it’s all about perspective. I didn’t shed a tear at my high school graduation no matter how hard I tried; however, I cried like a baby with my 5th grade yearbook in my arms after I graduated elementary school. That doesn’t mean I won’t miss high school and all my friends and family; I already do. The thing is I’ve braced myself for this moment and I’m slowly learning to suck it up.

       Like I said, I’ll see most of them again. Even though the band split up there’s always a few reunion performances at popular award shows to look forward to. What I’m looking forward to the most is seeing who in my circle of friends ends up being the Justin Timberlake of the group and who ends up being JC. Did that N’Sync reference get my point across?
       Besides working and hanging out the sports world has also kept me busy. This World Cup has turned me into a soccer fan. After years of watching the NBA get softer, it’s refreshing to see a sport that actually allows contact and aggression. I don’t really have a team other than Haiti who hasn’t made a World Cup appearance since 1974 and I didn’t feel right being a USA fan because I didn’t know any player besides Jozy Altidore and Landon Donovan. I secretly rooted for them but I started doing that when we played Belgium.

      The part that I love most is while I saw the support for Team USA with all the media promos and the popularity on Twitter with the “ibelieve” hashtag, none of the Americans I talked to at work gave a single care about the World Cup. Keep in mind that I work at a grocery store that serves a diverse clientele. Every time I asked if they were keeping up with the World Cup they would chuckle and say “no.” As if to say “Do I look like I watch soccer?”

      I know Americans don’t appreciate soccer but goodness gracious this is pathetic. You know what else was pathetic? Brazil getting spanked by Germany in their hometown. I’m in no position to talk. Not only did I just start paying attention to soccer but my own sports team, the Miami Heat, went out worse than Brazil. Brazil played without Neymar and Silva; Wade, Bron and Bosh were perfectly healthy.

No comments:

Post a Comment