Monday, February 10, 2014

The College Droput 10 Year Anniversary


               February 10th, 2004. Ten years ago, Kanye West’s debut, “The College Dropout” was released and changed the hip hop world forever. I can go on for days about how good this album is but instead I’ll describe it in three words: soulful, impacting, and perfect.

                I was in middle school when I first heard The College Dropout and I had the album playing on my computer whilst eating oatmeal raisin cookie dough. What got my attention was the 8 minute monologue at the end of Last Call. It was at that moment that I pictured Kanye and I walking through the fog like Rick and Louie from Casablanca and I said to him “Kanye, I think this is the beginning of a beautiful friendship.” Through the years I have been a big fan of Kanye and I grew up with his music. I often debate which album is better, Late Registration or College Dropout, I can never come to a conclusion so we’ll never know.

                The College Dropout will be remembered as one of the milestones in hip hop. Since its release soul sampling has resurged and rappers are less thuggish and more fashionable. Next year I’ll probably write a post on Late Registration’s 10 year anniversary. One day I’ll get the chance to meet Kanye and we’ll sit and talk about this album and what it meant to us. Hopefully Kim not’s there, or North, he can leave them at home for all I care.

No comments:

Post a Comment